Closing a sale is one of the most important aspects of any business. As a salesperson, you must be able to convince your potential customer to make a purchase. However, closing a sale is not an easy task. You need to be strategic and use different sales techniques to convince your customer. One of the sales techniques that have been gaining popularity in recent years is the “Puppy Dog Close.”
What is meant by Puppy Dog Close?
The name “Puppy Dog Close” comes from the idea that once you bring a puppy home, it’s hard to give it back.
It is a sales technique where the salesperson encourages the customer to take a product home to test it out before making a final decision. The concept behind this technique is that once the customer takes the product home and tries it out, they will be less likely to return it.
How to Close a Sale Using Puppy Dog Close Sales Technique
Here are the steps that you need to follow to close a sale using this technique:
Understanding the Customer’s Needs
You need to ask questions to determine what the customer is looking for in a product. Once you understand their needs, you can recommend a product that meets those needs.
Demonstrate the Product
Highlight the product’s unique features and benefits, and show how it can solve the customer’s problems. This will help them see the value in the product and increase their willingness to make a purchase.
Encourage the Customer to Take the Product Home
Tell them that they can use the product for a few days to see how it works. This step is critical because it allows the customer to try out the product in their own environment.
Address Customer Objections:
It’s common for customers to have objections when considering a purchase. By using this sales technique, you can address these objections and alleviate any hesitations the customer may have. This can help overcome any barriers to a sale and increase the likelihood of a successful close.
During the follow-up appointment, you can ask the customer how they liked the product and whether they would like to purchase it. This step is important because it allows you to close the sale.
Close the Deal
The final step is to close the sale. If the customer likes the product, they will be more likely to purchase it. Use your closing skills to convince the customer to make the purchase.
Follow-up After the Sale:
Following up with customers after a sale can help build customer loyalty and increase the likelihood of future purchases. This can be as simple as sending a thank you email or offering a discount on a future purchase. By staying in touch with your customers, you can continue to build positive relationships and increase your chances of long-term success.
As with any sales technique, it’s important to continuously improve and refine your approach. Take note of what works and what doesn’t, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Advantages of Using Puppy Dog Close
Here are some of the advantages of using this technique:
- Builds trust and confidence: Allowing your customers to test the product before making a purchase, creates a sense of trust and confidence in the product. It gives the customer the opportunity to see the value of the product for themselves, which can increase their willingness to make a purchase.
- Reduces the likelihood of returns: Because the customer has had the opportunity to test the product before making a purchase, they are less likely to return it. This can save the business time and money on returns processing, restocking, and reselling.
- Helps overcome objections: It helps overcome objections by giving customers the chance to test the product and address any concerns they may have. This helps alleviate any hesitations customers may have and increases their likelihood of making a purchase.
- Encourages customer loyalty: Providing exceptional customer service helps to encourage more customer loyalty. Customers who feel valued and appreciated are more likely to return to the business for future purchases and recommend it to others.
- Creates a sense of urgency: The Puppy Dog Close sales technique creates a sense of urgency by encouraging customers to take the product home to test it out. This motivates customers to make a purchase because they have a limited amount of time to test the product, which can lead to increased sales.
- Differentiates the business from competitors: This sales technique differentiates the business from competitors by offering a unique and memorable customer experience. This helps the business stand out in the minds of customers and increases their likelihood of returning for future purchases.
Disadvantages of Using Puppy Dog Close
Here are some of the disadvantages of using this technique:
- It may not work for all products: It may not be suitable for all products. For example, it may not work for products that require installation or assembly, or for products that are expensive or customized.
- It can be time-consuming: The Puppy Dog Close sales technique requires you to follow up with the customer, which can be time-consuming. It may not be feasible for sales situations where you need to close the sale quickly.
- It may not be suitable for all customers: Some customers may not be interested in taking the product home to test it out. They may prefer to make a purchase immediately, and the Puppy Dog Close technique may not work for them.
- It may lead to returns: Although the Puppy Dog Close technique is designed to reduce the likelihood of returns, there is still a chance that the customer may return the product. This can be costly for the business, as it may result in lost revenue and additional expenses.
Puppy Dog Close is an effective sales technique that can help businesses increase their chances of closing a sale and creating a positive customer experience.
Remember to always focus on selling the solution and offering freebies to increase your sales, instead of just trying to sell the product itself. And if you’re looking for your ideal prospects, consider using our free email lookup tool. This powerful tool can help you find valid contact details of potential prospects from websites, LinkedIn, Crunchbase, and Wellfound.
And if you have a large email list, don’t worry about the sending limit. You can always check out our free email marketing tool that allows you to send emails to unlimited prospects. With these tools and techniques, you can take your sales game to the next level and achieve your business goals.
Get 50 monthly credits with no credit card signup. Start your free trial now and unleash your sales power.
People Also Ask
What is a puppy dog close technique?
The puppy dog close is a sales strategy that enables potential customers to try out a product or service for a few days before finalizing their decision. For example, you can get a complimentary trial or testing period from any SaaS tool online. By adopting this approach, the pressure on customers is reduced, and it fosters a reliable relationship of trust with them.
What are closing sales techniques?
Closing sales techniques are those strategies that are used by marketers and salespersons to persuade a prospective customer to make a buying decision. The goal is to get the customer to agree to the sale and complete the purchase.
What are the common sales techniques?
- Assumptive – assuming the sale has already been made and asking the customer about the details of the purchase.
- Urgency – creating a sense of urgency by emphasizing a limited-time offer or a scarcity of product availability.
- Objection – addressing the customer’s objections and concerns to remove any barriers to the sale.
- Alternative – offering the customer a choice between two options, both of which involve making a purchase.
- Trial – testing the customer’s interest and commitment by asking for a small decision or commitment before asking for the sale.
- Emotional – appealing to the customer’s emotions to create a sense of desire or need for the product.