There is a rise in the number of voice assistants in today’s tech. With more and more features being rolled out to our smartphones, laptops and other device, the artificially intelligent voice assistant have been built into other devices as well. Usually they require an operating system to run but with advancing technology and constantly evolving Artificial Intelligence sectors, voice search has become a part of our everyday lives. Siri, Alexa, Cortana are all the names we’re familiar with when it comes to voice assistants. Now, voice search also impacts marketing when it comes to search results. This is because people use them to find the best services, movies, transportation facilities and practically every sector of marketing.
What is voice search?
Voice search is basically just what you search using any of the virtual assistants or from any device capable of doing so. It uses speech recognition technology to search for your voice commands or queries on search engines. This makes the search engines return a list of best options or the usual search results. Similar to manual search but voice search can also have a special service when it comes to searching. It uses several technologies at once to make it all possible- NLP (Natural Language Processing), TTS (Text to Speech), and a pre-programmed voice assistant.
How to optimize your marketing for voice search:
Just like search engine marketing, companies now also need to focus on voice search to come up in such results. Brands have to develop strategies that focus on optimizing results as per voice search. Use these tips to optimize your marketing as per voice search:
- When targeting relevant keywords and searches, consider that commands and queries to virtual assistants is conversational in nature. Much like when we ask a friend or anyone for recommendations or something we want to know. Keeping in mind the nature of conversations can help in planning and using searches accordingly by being prepared.
- Start thinking of questions that people may ask in your niche. Develop questions for voice searches and make sure that you have the proper content and answers for such searches. This can work if you include a Q and A section to your blog.
- It is also a good step to consider the customized experience of a voice search. Google is achieving great new levels of customization with constantly rolling out apps and searches that use voice recognition. Google app services can even provide real time information like traffic status and weather reports. All of this depends on search engine and voice searches put together with a virtual assistant.
- Ensure that your company site and blogging section is mobile-friendly. It is a great tactic in marketing practically everywhere today to make sites mobile friendly first. This is because of the reachability that mobile friendly sites are able to achieve. Moreover, your site should also be SEO friendly according to Google’s mobile SEO practices rules.
- Using structured markups like breadcrumbs, snippets, and search boxes. Google as a search engine pulls data from structured data markup and bring it to the results section as per voice search.
Measuring the voice search impact:
Because of the nature of voice search, one can expect highly personalized results from it. This can make measurement of your strategy’s effectiveness a bit more difficult. Tools like Linkdex provide keyword ranking options especially on mobile data, but even that has a flaw because not all voice searches are carried out on mobile data. This is just a start in the field of measuring voice search’s impact. Because voice searches and other related tech is still progressing and not fully integrated or used properly in the field of marketing, there’s still ways to go.
Special mobile sites (starting with the ‘m.xyz.com’ as their URL) have a special Google feature. Google search console allows you to filter queries to measure behavior between clicks and phrases. This can be found under the option ‘search analytic’ in the Google search option. Though any of these options aren’t complete solutions to the voice search measurement problem, there are still more features and tools coming up.
Future of Voice Search:
With the progress of Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and IoT (Internet of Things) there is still lots of areas that voice search and virtual assistants have to cover ground on. Basically, the conversational tone of voice searches will only increase unlike the direct search engine searches we do in our lives. So, marketers will have to focus more on conversational sentences like phrases, sentences, and topics.
Unlike today’s searches which focus on short keywords, for voice searches, the emphasis will be on long-tail keywords. Tagging, personalization, local searches, all will impact how marketers roll out content and optimize their site in the future. Optimizing videos and photos for voice search will also play another role. This is because of the fast results required by voice searches. Instead of taking the user to the site to display results or to any search engine page, results are shown on the device directly.
With the advancement in the tech world, we can even expect for majority of the searches and processing present on the phones instead of search engines. This may or may not impact the marketing as far as voice search results go, but this is yet to be soon. Alexa, Siri, Cortana are still not going massive changes with every software update. It is time for marketers to put equal emphasis on artificially intelligent voice assistants.