There will be at least 3 billion email users by 2020 says the Radicati’s 2016 Email Statistics report. That’s 1 in every 3 people on this planet. Majority of people decide to read an email or mark it spam based on its subject line. This is decided by the email subject line! Here are some points which need to be understood before using these tips for cold email subject line.
For many businesses, Email is the first point of contact with their prospective customers. This means that a single email could be the difference between “Deal” and “No deal”.
Tips And Tricks For Cold Email Subject Line –
Respect The Time Of Your Email Reader
In a B2B marketing scenario, almost every person will receive at least 1 email every two minutes. This implies that you need to be efficient in delivering your subject line. One way to do it is by using small (not more than seven words, small) subject lines.
Well, sending an e-mail on a weekend or a holiday will not make much sense. Lucrative subject lines framed to attract the customer will not work. A lesson to be learnt – be sensitive to the timing of your subject line.
8. “Make your business GDPR ready” a mail that could have been sent just before GDPR rules kicked in
9. “It’s time to file taxes” a Tax law firm could use this when the financial year ends
10. “Give your employees free air miles, with our corporate credit card” a credit card company affiliate could send this just before the holiday season
11. “Give your business a boost this holiday season”
12. To increase click-through rates before the super bowl season, it is advised to use “Capitalize on Super bowl fever” as email subject line.
13. “It’s the right time to meet your targets”
Simplified Your Email
You don’t need to be Dr Shashi Tharoor while writing email subject lines! So make it as simple as possible.
Do not use complex words or sentence formation. Writing “peregrinating” instead of “travelling” will surely make you look qualified but it might earn you a place in the trash folder. This point complements the above point, “respect their time”.
14. “Looking for B2B leads”
15. “Tips to increase your sales”
16. “Double your sales”
17. “How to increase your sales”
18. “A better sales strategy”
19. “Marketing did right”
20. “Best Ransomware protection in the industry”
Personalize Your Email
Use the first name of your prospect, including Birthday or the name of their favourite football player. Do a bit of research before you compose the email.
21. “Hey Tom, I Could help you file your firm’s taxes”, A tax attorney could get some businesses to sign up for his consultancy
22. “Harry, try our lead generation tool and hit your sales target”
23. “Hello there, are you taking the right decisions on your marketing strategies?”
24. “Congratulations on being promoted. Double your achievements with our tools”
25. “Sam boost the productivity of your team using our productivity tool”
26. “John, use our CRM to manage customers better”
27. “Alex, we could help you set up your new office”
28. “Mark, get a background check done on new employees”
29. “Jacinda, get a professional-looking website for your business today”
This trick works well since it has some personal touch and demonstrates that you care for your prospect’s interests.
Start Your Cold Email Subject Line With a Question
Asking a question in the subject line works perfectly because the average attention span of a person is just 8 seconds.
30. “Need customized stationery supplies for your business? A customized print shop could attract some customers by using this subject line
31.“Decrease the cost of your printing” An offset print service, can successfully use such subject lines to Get B2B customers
32. “Are your customers opening the emails you send?” An email marketing firm can use this line.
33. “How are you finding your leads?” “Looking for a custom prospect list?”
34. “Is your employee healthcare plan good enough?” can be sent by Img a corporate insurance Company.
35. ”Is your Database slow? Try our new DBMS“
Be Funny In Your Content
A humorous B2B subject line will come as a breath of fresh air, unlike all the dull, stuffy emails that we find in our inbox today.
36. “Enter the magic portal called Digital marketing” could be an effective yet funny line that a digital marketing company could use.
37. “Hi, spending too much on Coffee try our range of ICE teas” A funny line an Ice tea vending machine company can use.
38. “Marketers assemble”. A funny line for an upcoming Marketing Conference.
39. “Is your sales Strategy as good as the new Nolan movie”
40. “Two to tango” a mail that can be sent by workplace collaboration software company
Follow up with a fun factor
We all have seen the “you still there?” question pop up while using Netflix. It is a bland way to follow up and you would not like to send an email to your prospects.
To keep up the interest of your prospect, use a funny email subject line in the follow-up emails.
41. “Have we bored you enough” for an unresponsive prospect
42. “Let’s have a fresh start” to restart the conversation with an old prospect
43. “Remember me” a funny follow up the line from the famous BBC show “Sherlock”
44. “Are we on a break?” a take on famous sitcom ‘friends’ line
45. “We don’t want to lose you” a great way FBI can follow (upon) you. Haha
46. “Still here!, and happy to help” a funny twist to Netflix’s “still there” and extending a helping hand at the same time
Create a subject line which caters to the person’s Fear of Missing out.
Brands use this all-time to promote their products.
47. “Get 70% off this Christmas on office furniture cleaning!” A furnishing company could incorporate this line to get better click-through rates
48.“Rest in a comfortable office sofa, now at 20% cash back”. A corporate furniture supplier used this for email subject line to boost his sales.
49. “Best business class airfares for a limited time” A travel agency can write such subject lines
50. “Uh-oh, your subscription for office supplies is expiring”. This helped a stationary supplying firm to boost his business exponentially.
51. “One last chance to try our lead generation software”
52. “Your free trial ends today, subscribe to keep up with the latest marketing trends.
53. “Get your news,Ad–free. Hurry! Offer ends in 2 hours
Don’ts of Cold Email Subject Line
Do not compose a very long subject.
Do not use Jargons unnecessarily. This confuses. Moreover, the reader needs to see a dictionary
Do not ever add the word “Newsletter”. A study from Adestra found that emails including the word “newsletter” in the subject line saw an 18.7% decrease in open rates
Do not use ALL caps or a lot of Exclamation marks. A subject line that is all caps will directly end up in the spam folder.
Do not use unfamiliar fonts or formatting. Because some computers might not support that font making your subject lie illegible.
To Sump up-
So what are you waiting for? Use our tricks to increase email open rates, connect with customers faster and make your Email marketing even more effective. A subject line can decide your success or failure!
Poorti Gupta is a freelance SEO Consultant and Content Writer. She likes to write about digital marketing, lead generation, and content marketing. Her passion is to help a business boost their traffic and online presence. Apart from that, you can find her having a cup of coffee or reading a book.